Fresh Cut Herbs Now Ready for Harvesting
We are now in full swing in this our first season. We're still doing lots of building work in the polytunnels (raised beds and irrigation systems), erecting tree guards in our cider orchard (a bit of a Forth Rail Bridge job) and developing what will be our cider house & studio.
The crazy cold & wet spring/summer has meant that many plants are quite late (especially the tomatoes). As a result, we have decided to hold off on salad leaves until next year (perhaps we were a bit overly optimistic).
Hopefully next season we will be approaching full steam with a wider range of products. Please feel free to suggest anything you think we could grow that you need.
Gary & Jo McAlpine, Foragers Foods
- Dill (75p/20g)
- Dill pollen (90p/20g)
- Fennel leaves (75p/20g)
- Salsosa soda (land seaweed) (£2.22/100g). A Mediterranean vegetable with thin succulent needle like leaves that grow on small bushy plants and is used mainly in Umbria and Lazio in pasta, seafood and fish dishes. The recommendation is to cook it in boiling water until the leaves soften, and to serve while some bite remains (much like Samphire). It can also be eaten raw; it is said to "taste grassy and slightly salty with a pleasant crunchy texture.
- Spearmint (80p/25g) (£1.75/100g)
- Lemon balm (80p/25g) (£1.75/100g)
- Salad burnet (80p/25g) (£1.75/100g)
- Rosemary (small quantities in 1st year) (90p/20g)
- Thyme (£1.15/20g)
- Lavendar (£1.90/50g). Also some potted plants @ £4.50
- Hyssop (£1.62/50g). The leaves and flowers of Hyssop have a licorice-minty taste, and indeed this plant is related to the Mints. The leaves can be used to flavour green salads, poultry stuffing (with sage), chicken soup, apple stews, pies or flans although should be used sparingly, as the flavour is very strong.
- Sage (90p/20g)
Coming soon (download flyer):
- Tomatoes (6 varieties) available Aug/Sept (£2.20/270g, £8.15/kg)
- Small quantity of chillies Sept/Oct (£1.50/100g)
Next year (download flyer):
- French Tarragon (90p/20g)
- Borage & borage flowers (£TBC)
- Salad Leaves (£TBC)
Please email your requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to deliver larger orders (over £25) free of charge to local restaurants & cafés etc. If you'd prefer to visit Foragers to collect your order of fresh cut herbs, please contact Gary or Jo to arrange a suitable time. Mobile 07939 517685.